PROGRAMS AND SERVICES
- Ease the transition into UGA
- Improve the student veteran experience through access to programs, services, and resources
- Facilitate career readiness in preparation for entry into a job or graduate school
Programs and Services:
> Easing Your Transition/Getting Started
- Veterans Orientation – These personalized sessions help students prepare for the rigors of a Tier-1 Research University including; a Q/A session, meeting other student veterans, and providing vital info needed during the first months here.
- VA Certification/Benefits – We work closely with the registrar’s office and the VA School Certifying Official (SCO). The SCO is responsible for receiving/processing all VA-administered educational benefits.
- Peer2Peer – We connect new and current student veterans with peer veterans who assist with questions and provide advice from a student standpoint.
- Fiserv Veterans Lounge – A dedicated student veterans lounge – with large screen TV, coffee pot, couches and chairs – located in Room 484 of the Tate Student Center.
- Service Desk – An “information desk” staffed by student veterans from 8:00AM to 5:00PM for help and referrals for your specific needs.
- Transition Coaching – Eases the transition of incoming veterans by pairing them with faculty or staff members with similar academic, career, and/or personal interests.
> Improving Your UGA Experience Each Day
- Priority Registration – After your first semester, Certified Service Members (CSM) have priority registration but, like all students, must meet with an academic adviser prior to each registration cycle.
- Awards and Scholarships – Funded by community and corporate partners, veteran awards and scholarships are offered during the Fall and Spring semesters.
- Veterans Computer Lab – Part of the SVRC Office in Tate Center- 481, the lab includes three computer kiosks, CAC card readers, color printer, and workspaces.
- Individual Consultations – Meet with SVRC staff to share current situations and discover how to strategically solve them from personal, academic, health, to career and more.
- SVRC Suite – In addition to the service desk and computer lab, the SVRC suite offers veterans a conference room, refrigerator, microwave and space to connect with other veterans – including the SVA.
- Referral Network – Well-placed faculty, staff, community, non-profit, and corporate professionals who have relationships with the SVRC centered around supporting our student veterans.
- Student Veterans Association – A nationally recognized veteran-led student organization focused on building comradery and engagement through events, service to the university/community, and advocating for student veterans at UGA.
- Oral History Program – Earn $100 by taking less than 60 minutes to work with another veteran to record your unique history from boots to books and beyond
- VETConnect – Systematically connects our student veterans to an SVRC staff member each Fall and Spring to check-in and provide assistance and resources that are needed.
- Graduate Liaison – A graduate- or professional-level student veteran that augments the SVRC staff each semester tackling special projects.
- Got Your Six™ – An awareness program taught by SVRC staff to ensure students, faculty, staff, community, non-profit, and corporate leaders are attuned to our veterans and their needs.
- SVRC Newsletter – A recurring SVRC publication released 2-3 times each month that helps to ensure our military-affiliated students are kept attuned to opportunities within the veteran space.
> Preparing You for Your Next Move
- Readiness Coaching – Jump-starts early career discussions and brand development (resume building and networking), which improves a student’s ability to compete in today’s job market.
- Experiential Learning – Encouraging student veterans to take part in meaningful internships, study abroad and work-study opportunities that align with their academic pursuits.
- VA Work Study – Offers student veterans – using VA benefits at a ¾ load or above – the opportunity to work within the SVRC. For more information, contact SVRC@uga.edu.
- Coaching/Mentoring – Connecting student veterans to well-placed professionals, faculty, and peers to enhance their educational experience and widen their professional networks.
- Corporate Connect – Corporate partners across the country work directly with SVRC staff to provide employment opportunities to student veterans.
For more information on any of these programs/services, contact us at SVRC@uga.edu or (706) 542-7872.